6. Enhances accountability, responsibility and empowers change and growth for all
members of the community.
• All members of the school community are responsible for contributing to the
establishment and sustaining of a positive school culture by taking personal responsibility
to follow through and hold one another accountable to the collective values and principles
that define the community.
• Conflict presents opportunity for change if the process includes careful listening, reflecting,
shared problem-solving, and trust.
• High accountability occurs when systems and structures are in place that allow for one to
take responsibility for their actions by providing them the opportunity to learn and
understand the impact of their actions, determine how to make things as right as possible,
AND follow through with the plan.
• Consequences as part of the restorative process should be evaluated based on whether
they are reasonable, related to the offense, and respectful.
• Some students choose to resist participation in a process that will allow for change and
may need adults to support and guide them in decision-making concerning their