On March 3rd and 4th Edsel Ford High School, and all other high schools in Michigan, will be administering the ACT, Explore and Plan to all high school students. These exams are extremely important and crucial for our students’ success.
What are these exams?
- Explore – The Explore test is taken by all freshmen and is an indicator on where our freshman are excelling or struggling in reference to content and comprehension. Based on each individual student’s scores, we prepare and schedule students with additional resources to assist them in their quest for success.
- Plan – The Plan test is taken by all sophomores and is an indicator on where the students may struggle when they take the ACT and the MiStep test their junior year. Based on each individual student’s scores, we prepare and schedule students with additional resources to assist them in their quest for success their junior year and to excel on the ACT/MiStep. The Plan test also determines which students are eligible for the Dearborn Public Schools and Henry Ford College Collegiate Academy.
- ACT & MiStep – The ACT/MiStep are two assessments that are used by the State of Michigan to assess where our students rank in reference to their proficiency in all curricular areas. The State of Michigan also uses this one-time test to rank our students against other students in the State and as a measurement to determine if Edsel Ford High School has made progress in reducing gaps in achievement. Both of these scores are reported on the student’s transcripts that universities and colleges review.
It is crucial that our students come to school prepared, on time and on task to be successful on these exams. Moreover, it is important that our students continue to demonstrate to the entire State of Michigan that we are a quality educational institution and that our students are the finest students in the State of Michigan.
In addition, we will have a revised school schedule on March 3rd and 4th. The schedule is as follows:
- Tuesday, March 3rd
- Only Juniors report, this is any student that is labeled a junior based on their credits, attend school from 7:15 – 12:30
- Only seniors that have been notified they need to test attend school from 7:15 – 12:30
- No school for Freshmen, Sophomores & all other Seniors
- Wednesday , March 4th
- Juniors (labeled as juniors based on their credits) and notified seniors attend school from 7:15 – 10:30
- Freshmen & Sophomores attend school from 10:30 – 2:15
Bus transportation will be provided on March 3rd and 4th– Buses will pick up or leave at the dismissal times stated in the schedule below. Students who drive to school will also be expected to arrive and leave at the times stated in the schedule. No students may leave school prior to the end of any of the testing times.
March 3rd – Juniors and Seniors needing to test will be picked up at their normal time and dropped off after the 12:30 dismissal.
March 4th– Morning bus pickup at the regular time for grade 11 and 12 needing to test. Students start at 7:20. There will be a second bus pickup (3 hours later than normal pick up time) for grades 9 and 10. Upon arriving to school all 9th and 10th grade students will report to the cafeteria for a snack and directions.
11th and 12th grade testers will return home on the buses after 10:30 dismissal.
Grades 9 & 10 will return home at the regular 2:15 dismissal time.
Special Education students that require special transportation will stay at school the entire day (7:20-2:15)
Edsel Ford students will not attend MBCC or DCMST on March 3rd and 4th as they will be testing.
- MiStep Assessment will be in April and a schedule will follow for that very soon.
Please keep in mind these key facts regarding testing:
- No cell phones or electronic devices – These items are NOT permitted in the testing rooms at any time, even if powered off. Being in possession of these items in the test room will result in an invalidation of the test. They will not be allowed in the hallways between tests or on breaks.
- Photo Identification – Students must show either their school ID or a driver’s license when they check in. If you do not have an ID, let us know NOW.
- Timed Tests – All the tests are timed so students must be to school on time. No one will be admitted after 7:40 am on any of the testing days. We encourage all students to arrive by 7:15am or earlier.
- Calculators – Students may bring and use a calculator for the mathematics portion of the exam. School-issued calculators are acceptable to ACT. No calculators will be issued on test day.
- No food, drink or other unnecessary items in the test rooms – Students should plan to only bring #2 pencils, their photo ID, and a calculator.
*Students must listen and follow all directions during testing- Students must successfully complete the ACT & MiStep testing in order to receive their diploma from Dearborn Public Schools.
Let’s go Thunderbirds! Once again- it’s Edsel’s time to shine!